Fifty of CBUSA’s most active member builders gathered for three days in February at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort & Spa in Scottsdale, AZ, to discuss best practices and focus on how they can continue to leverage their membership opportunities for the benefit of the entire organization. Joining them were an additional 20 companies representing market leaders and prospects for future operations, along with 11 special guests and speakers and 25 manufacturer partners. In total, 105 attendees enjoyed 3 days of roundtables, panel discussions and social events with the goal of honing CBUSA’s strategy for future products, services and programs.
Attendees of this year’s Power 30 gave the conference universally rave reviews. The resort property proved to be an ideal location, providing the right mix of atmosphere and amenities without the distractions of previous city-centered locations. And the perfect February Arizona weather didn’t hurt either!
CBUSA members enjoyed many highlights during the three-day event, including
- Hanley Wood Media Vice President and Editorial Director John McManus’ keynote address entitled “The Road Ahead,” which focused on 18 industry trends to watch for in 2018. Among the important topics John addressed in his speech were the myth of a lack of innovation in the home building industry, aggressive goals for energy efficiency on the horizon, the focus on attracting new talent to the industry, and the increased demands on the builders due to extreme climate-related events.
- Jane Meagher’s Success Strategies presentation, which focused on the 10 Irrefutable Rules of Retailing and gave the CBUSA builders in attendance plenty of food for thought to help them improve their company branding and marketing.
- Entekra CEO and Chairman Gerry McCaughey’s talk on how labor shortages are affecting the industry, and how offsite construction is building momentum in the United States — which has led to a dramatic shift in the way builders procure material and build their homes.
- CBUSA’s Phil Randolph’s presentation “Cost To Serve,” which energized the CBUSA team and our members to identify opportunities to become better customers and partners with our suppliers in order to procure “next level” savings and superior service.
- The first-ever CBUSA Builder Panel, during which John McManus presented and moderated questions prepared by our manufacturer partners to a group of five member builders. The panel gave manufacturers the unique opportunity to ask tough questions anonymously and receive honest answers in return.
- Manufacturer presentations on new incentive programs from LP Building Products, Dacor Kitchen Appliances, Electrolux, Donald A. Gardner Architects, Caesarstone and Maxim Lighting.
- A Tuesday morning Open Forum, during which newer member builders from startup markets were given the opportunity to question veteran members on topics including industry challenges, keys to success, and the benefits and rewards available to committed CBUSA members.
- Dinner at Phoenix-area member builder Rod Cullum of Cullum Homes’ model home at Paradise Valley, which included a spectacular meal prepared by celebrity chef Jan D’Atri sponsored by Dacor.
Now that Power 30 2018 has wrapped, the stage is set for the 2019 conference in Seattle in January. And given the success of this year’s event, next year’s attendees have a lot to look forward to!
Want a chance to join the ranks of independent builders who are benefitting from all that a partnership with CBUSA has to offer — and possibly attend next year’s Power 30 conference? Contact us today!